Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Big Move


As many of you may know, Nikolai (my husband) and I are in for some big changes. On July 24th we will be moving to Foshan China to teach at Nanhai International Education Center (NIEC). It was a difficult and exciting decision to make to move completely to the other side of the world and immerse ourselves into a new and very foreign culture. We are keeping this blog in hopes of keeping people informed of what we are up to as well as to keep a personal record of our experiences while living abroad. Who knows if we will even have access to it while we are over there!

Our home in China will be Foshan, Guangdong. It is in the far southeast corner of the country and located about 1.5 - 2 hours by train to Hong Kong and a bit over an hour to Macau. Foshan is a "smaller" suburb of 6 million inhabitants that is located out side of a larger more well known city of Guangzhou (formerly know as Canton) which has a population of about 10 million.

We will be keeping those interested posted as we get closer to our travels!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so stinkin' excited that you and I will be in China together!!! :) Even if I only get to see you once or twice this year (once on your turf, once on mine?), it's so good to know that there is a Minnesota-Gustie-teacher friend close by that is going through some of the same trials and joys that I am. :D

    I'm also super glad to hear you're so close to Hong Kong. I'm on the northern-y part of Hong Kong, not on the island, so it's even a bit closer in an area called Sha Tin.

    I am also very proud of you and look forward to following your story on here. This first year abroad was the most rewarding I've had and has forever changed who I am and how I fit in this world. Congratulations on taking such a wild and big first step into the unknown. You are courageous and this blog will be a great place for you to inspire everyone in your life to step up and find courage themselves. You have no idea how big this can become. :D

    All my best,
    Robin (and Rich)

    ReplyDelete